Though we serve clients around the world, Anista Designs is a Canadian studio, and it's with great pleasure that we'll be celebrating Canada Day on July 1st!
In honour of Canada's 148th birthday, we thought we'd share 10 surprising facts about our country:
- Winne the Poo was inspired by a Canadian black bear named Winnipeg. The bear made quite the impression on A. A. Milne's son, inspiring Milne to create the popular children's franchise.
- Quebec city is the only walled city in North America.
- 10% of the world's forests reside in Canada
- Canada has one of the lowest population densities on the planet - we're 9th. Our country is huge and desolate, with nearly half of it covered in native forests.
- Alberta has a national park bigger than Switzerland. Wood Buffalo Park was created in 1922 as haven for the world's largest free-roaming herd of Wood Bison.
- Canada is the most educated country in the world - more than 50% of Canadians have a College degree!
- Canada's lakes, collectively, are bigger than the rest of the world's lakes combined.
- The longest international border in the world exists between Canada and the United States. Because of the good relationship between the two countries, this border lack military defence.
- The "Apology Act" allows an apology in court to be treated as a gesture of compassion and sympathy, and not an admission of guilt.
- The Hudson Bay area has less gravity than the rest of Earth.
Photos from Wedluxe: To Canada with Love